Web developers work on websites’ various features including their aesthetics, ease of use, content, functionalities, designs, layouts, graphics, navigation, and search.
Working behind the scenes, web developers work on features necessary to the functionality of a web site. It is their duty to handle people working toward conceiving, designing, building, programming, writing content, branding, marketing, supporting, and managing web sites.
Duties of a Web Developer
Web developers are part of all the teams that work on websites. It is their responsibility to guide teams involved in planning, designing, creating content, marketing, and supporting and managing websites.
The following are some of the tasks web developers perform:
- planning websites in consultation with decision-makers at the company
- figuring out the needs of the website users
- using appropriate hardware and software to make sites function fast and efficiently
- implementing designs and visuals to make site compelling
- making sites more interactive so as to keep users visit them regularly
- programming sites to keep them function effectively
- testing the sites with their users to get feel of applications
- making sure that websites serve the owners’ objectives and users’
- making appropriate changes on the base of audience feedback
- fixing up problems in websites’ database
- setting up reporting tools and databases to record traffic to sites
- providing support and maintenance to websites
Necessary Knowledge and Skills
Web developers must acquire right skills and knowledge to equip themselves for the dynamic field of web development. Many join the field after attaining computer science or computer engineering degree or web diplomas from technical institutes. Software engineers without web development experience begin with basic web applications under guidance of senior developers. Internships and contracts are also some of the ways people start their web development careers.
It is very important for web developers to be skilled in the following technologies:
- Web 2.0 skills, Ajax
- ASP, PHP, and Ruby on Rails
- java, C++, C# and VB.net
- perl, VBScript
- MYSQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Sever and XML
- online marketing and search engine optimization
Highly successful web developers are skilled in today’s technologies and keep their eyes open for emerging trends and technologies.
However, more than technological knowledge, it is one’s desire to be challenged, and willingness to stay on top, that will surely make one successful in this field.